- September 7, 2019 - September 8, 2019
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is an introductory level course designed to expose the course participant to the assessment and treatment of the hemiplegic upper limb based on the principles of the Contemporary Bobath Concept. Theoretical information shall be covered in formal lectures as well as informal discussion thru the weekend
The course instructor will demonstrate the clinical application of the Bobath concept through assessment, clinical reasoning and treatment of a client(s) who have sustained a lesion to their central nervous system.
The course participants, under the supervision of the course instructor, will have the opportunity to develop their movement analysis and handling skills through daily practice sessions. All course participants should wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions.
The course is open to physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The course participant will gain an understanding of:
-The anatomy and biomechanics of the shoulder girdle
-The neurophysiology of reach and grasp inclusive of the role of postural control
-The causes and treatment/management strategies of the painful hemiplegic shoulder
-The role of facilitation in the recovery of reach and grasp
Schedule (15 hours 15 minutes contact hours)
September 7-8, 2019
All participants must sign a waiver and a manual handling disclosure to participate in the practical component.
Please wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions,
e.g. shorts, sports bra.
A certificate cannot be issued if non-attendance to the course is > than 2 hours less than the course schedule.
Lunch is not included in course fees. Coffee, tea and snacks will be provided during breaks.
CBIA Cancellation Policy
A $150 cancellation fee will be charged if the participant cancels up to one month prior to course commencement.
If the participant cancels within one month of course commencement, a refund will only be granted (minus $150 cancellation fee) if the course place is filled by another registrant.
The Canadian Bobath Instructors Association reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if a minimum number of course registrants is not met. Course registrants are responsible for their travel expenses including changes to bookings, please take the above into consideration when booking flights and/or reserving accommodation.
CBIA reserves the right to substitute CBIA Instructors if any one of them is rendered unable to teach.
Venue Website: www.neuro-ability.caAddress:
- Neuro-Ability is located at 1156 Kingsway between Glen Drive and Inverness Street.
The building is wheelchair accessible from the front door (Kingsway) and the rear door (back alley).
- 1156 Kingsway, (Unit 100)
Vancouver, BC V5V 3C8
The “#19 bus” stops very close to our front door.
The “#22 and 25 busses” stop within 3-4 blocks.
- Driving and Parking Information:
- 1) Free parking is available on Kingsway until 3pm. Cars will be towed after 3pm. Access the clinic through the Kingsway ‘front’ door.
2) Off-street free parking is available on the quiet neighbourhood streets.
3) Three (3) free parking stalls for Neuro-Ability are in the back lane (between Glen Dr. and 21st Ave.). Access the clinic through the rear door. Please leave these spaces for our patient volunteers participating on the course
- Note 1: Please use the 3 east spaces (right side when facing the clinic wall). The west parking stall at the rear of the building is only for Chairstuff.
- Note 2: The large roller door is a very active delivery lane for Chairstuff. It can only be used for very temporary drop-off and pick-up.
- Please visit google maps link provided below for more detailed driving directions:
We’ll provide tea/coffee and healthy snacks. You are encouraged to bring your own re-useable drink container please.
You can bring your own lunch or purchase lunch from a range of local eateries a 5-minute walk.