- April 18, 2020 - April 19, 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is an introductory highly practical course intended for graduate physiotherapists and occupational therapists working with neurological clients who wish to explore and improve their clinical assessment and treatment skills in optimizing functional recovery. The material is presented in a dynamic and interactive manner and is relevant for therapists working in a variety of settings including acute and rehabilitation hospitals, private practice, community and long-term care settings. The material is also relevant for therapists working with non-neurological patient populations.
This course utilizes a best practice approach that blends theoretical evidence presented in lecture format with clinical expertise through client demonstrations and practical labs.
The majority of the course will be practical in nature providing the therapist with a skill set that will have immediate clinical application. The practical information will be taught utilizing a clinical reasoning framework and a problem-based approach. There will be hands-on demonstrations and the opportunity for practice. Patient demonstrations will allow therapists to see the application of course material on individuals with neurological lesions. There will be opportunities for active discussion, peer learning and self-reflection.
The course is open to physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The course participant will gain an understanding of:
- Anatomy and biomechanics associated with muscle activation of the core and the limbs
- The neurophysiology of postural control
- An introduction to the facilitation of muscle activation
- An introduction to the Model of Bobath Clinical Practice
Schedule (15 contact hours)
April 18, 2020: 09:00 – 17:00
April 19, 2020: 09:00 – 17:00
A detailed schedule will be posted shortly.
All participants must sign a waiver and a manual handling disclosure to participate in the practical components.
Please wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions,
e.g. shorts, sports bra.
A certificate cannot be issued if non-attendance to the course is > than 2 hours less than the course schedule.
Lunch is not included in course fees. Coffee, tea and snacks will be provided during breaks.
CBIA Cancellation Policy
A $150 cancellation fee will be charged if the participant cancels up to one month prior to course commencement.
If the participant cancels within one month of course commencement, a refund will only be granted (minus $150 cancellation fee) if the course place is filled by another registrant.
The Canadian Bobath Instructors Association reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if a minimum number of course registrants is not met. Course registrants are responsible for their travel expenses including changes to bookings, please take the above into consideration when booking flights and/or reserving accommodation.
CBIA reserves the right to substitute CBIA Instructors if any one of them is rendered unable to teach.
Venue Website: www.neuro-ability.caAddress:
- Neuro-Ability is located at 1156 Kingsway between Glen Drive and Inverness Street.
The building is wheelchair accessible from the front door (Kingsway) and the rear door (back alley).
- 1156 Kingsway, (Unit 100)
Vancouver, BC V5V 3C8
The “#19 bus” stops very close to our front door.
The “#22 and 25 busses” stop within 3-4 blocks.
- Driving and Parking Information:
- 1) Free parking is available on Kingsway until 3pm. Cars will be towed after 3pm. Access the clinic through the Kingsway ‘front’ door.
2) Off-street free parking is available on the quiet neighbourhood streets.
3) Three (3) free parking stalls for Neuro-Ability are in the back lane (between Glen Dr. and 21st Ave.). Access the clinic through the rear door. Please leave these spaces for our patient volunteers participating on the course
- Note 1: Please use the 3 east spaces (right side when facing the clinic wall). The west parking stall at the rear of the building is only for Chairstuff.
- Note 2: The large roller door is a very active delivery lane for Chairstuff. It can only be used for very temporary drop-off and pick-up.
- Please visit google maps link provided below for more detailed driving directions:
We’ll provide tea/coffee and healthy snacks. You are encouraged to bring your own re-useable drink container please.
You can bring your own lunch or purchase lunch from a range of local eateries a 5-minute walk.