June 14, 2024 - June 23, 2024
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is an IBITA certified Advanced level Bobath course offered to physiotherapists and occupational therapists in possession of an IBITA-recognized Basic Course certificate. In addition to theory, clinical reasoning, and practical sessions the Advanced course offers supervised/mentored treatment sessions with patients.
Assessment and treatment of the incomplete spinal cord injured client, presents unique challenges to the clinician. Theory will include motor control of the ascending and descending systems, neurophysiology underlying hyper-reflexia and plasticity of the spinal cord. Clinically we will explore potential for regaining locomotion and reach to grasp; every client’s goal. Additionally unique aspects of the spinal cord injured client will be considered including impact of manual propulsion on recovery of the upper limb, the challenge of regaining a dynamic pelvis when seated for PADL and ADL and the role of achieving core stability of the head – thorax when fear of moving the head pervades.
Through patient demonstrations, patient treatment sessions, and practical sessions the course participant will gain an opportunity to translate theoretical knowledge into clinical applications to address functional recovery in persons with incomplete spinal cord injury. The model of Bobath clinical practice (MBCP) will be utilized to explore clinical reasoning at an Advanced level.
The course participant will gain an understanding of:
- The model of Bobath clinical practice (MBCP) to explicate the clinical presentation and treatment plan of an individual with an incomplete spinal cord pathology.
- The development of clinical reasoning and handling of the iSCI client at an Advanced level.
- Evaluation skills using patient centered outcome measures.
- Theory specific to the iSCI including hyper reflexia and plasticity of the spinal cord.
- The relationship of postural control for recovery of selective movement, a fundamental principle of the Bobath Concept, with a focus on the impact following damage to the spinal cord both clinically and theoretically.
Samuel Jimenez PT, IBITA Advanced Course Instructor
15-day Basic IBITA/CBIA/NDTA Bobath course.
Neuro-Ability Rehabilitation Services Directions
All participants must sign a waiver and a manual handling disclosure to participate in the practical components.
Please wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions, e.g. shorts, sports bra.
A certificate cannot be issued if non-attendance to the course is > than 2 hours less than the course schedule.
Lunch is not included in course fees.
- A $150 cancellation fee will be charged if the participant cancels up to one month prior to course commencement.
- If the participant cancels within one month of course commencement, a refund will only be granted (minus $150 cancellation fee) if the course place is filled by another registrant.
The Canadian Bobath Instructors Association reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if a minimum number of course registrants is not met. Course registrants are responsible for their travel expenses including changes to bookings, please take the above into consideration when booking flights and/or reserving accommodation.
CBIA reserves the right to substitute CBIA Instructors if any one of them is rendered unable to teach
- Thank you for understanding that due to Covid-19, course participants need to be adaptable and prepared for the possibility of last-minute changes. Short-notice course cancellation may be unavoidable. Participant costs
associated with cancellation of travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the course participant.
- Precautions may vary depending upon PHO orders and college recommendations at the time of the course.
- No one may enter the venue if (1) they have Covid-19 symptoms; or, (2) are Covid-19 positive.
- At this time there are no masking requirements, participants may choose to wear a mask. Be aware that:
Participants attending are from different healthcare institutions
There is close contact during practical and treatment sessions
- It is highly recommended that course participants have up-to-date booster vaccinations for COVID-19.
- To help in keeping all course participants and patients healthy, please respect public health guidelines by washing/sanitizing your hands whenever appropriate and cough or sneeze into your arm!
- Please refer to local PH guidelines should you have any questions.
Venue Website: http://www.neuro-ability.caAddress:
- Neuro-Ability is located at 1156 Kingsway between Glen Drive and Inverness Street.
The building is wheelchair accessible from the front door (Kingsway) and the rear door (back alley), however during the course the back door shall be locked, please enter through the front entrance.
- 1156 Kingsway, (Unit 100)
Vancouver, BC V5V 3C8
The “#19 bus” stops very close to our front door.
The “#22 and 25 busses” stop within 3-4 blocks.
- Driving and Parking Information:
- 1) Free parking is available on Kingsway until 3pm. Cars will be towed after 3pm. Access the clinic through the Kingsway ‘front’ door.
2) Off-street free parking is available on the quiet neighbourhood streets.
3) Three (3) free parking stalls for Neuro-Ability are in the back lane (between Glen Dr. and 21st Ave.). Access the clinic through the rear door. Please leave these spaces for our patient volunteers participating on the course
- Note 1: Please use the 3 east spaces (right side when facing the clinic wall). The west parking stall at the rear of the building is only for Chairstuff.
- Note 2: The large roller door is a very active delivery lane for Chairstuff. It can only be used for very temporary drop-off and pick-up.
- Please visit google maps link provided below for more detailed driving directions
- Food in the area – All of the following offer take away
- Bean bahn mi, 1198 Kingsway – Vietnamese subs
- Thu Hien Deli and Sandwich Shop, 1388 Kingsway @ Knight – Vietnamese, recommend their number 1 special Banh Cuon pork rice rolls
- Green Lemongrass, 1086 Kingsway – Vietnamese food (salad rolls, noodles)
- Do Chay, 1392 Kingsway – Vegetarian food
- Sal y Limon Mexican Cuisine, #5, 701 Kingsway @ Fraser – Mexican – short DRIVE
Local park with park benches – Glen Park on Glen Drive between E22nd and E23rd Ave.