December 2, 2023 - December 3, 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is a 2-day introductory level course open to Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists. Participants will be introduced to fundamental aspects of the Bobath Concept in order to expand their clinical assessment and treatment skills and optimize functional recovery for their clients.
This highly practical course utilizes a best practice approach that blends theoretical evidence presented in lecture format with clinical expertise through client demonstrations and practical labs. Participants will be guided through the clinical reasoning process to analyze posture and movement in a hands-on and interactive manner. Skills taught will be readily translatable to the clinical setting for use with both neurological and non-neurological populations in a variety of care settings.
The course participant will gain an understanding of:
-The causes and treatment/management strategies of the painful hemiplegic shoulder
-The anatomy and biomechanics of the shoulder girdle
-The neurophysiology related to postural control, scapula set and reach
-The role of facilitation in the recovery of scapulothoracic stability
Saturday December 2 – Sunday December 3, 2023
09:00 – 17:00
Neuro-Ability Rehabilitation Services Directions
All participants must sign a waiver and a manual handling disclosure to participate in the practical components.
Please wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions, e.g. shorts, sports bra.
A certificate cannot be issued if non-attendance to the course is > than 2 hours less than the course schedule.
Lunch is not included in course fees.
- A $150 cancellation fee will be charged if the participant cancels up to one month prior to course commencement.
- If the participant cancels within one month of course commencement, a refund will only be granted (minus $150 cancellation fee) if the course place is filled by another registrant.
The Canadian Bobath Instructors Association reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if a minimum number of course registrants is not met. Course registrants are responsible for their travel expenses including changes to bookings, please take the above into consideration when booking flights and/or reserving accommodation.
CBIA reserves the right to substitute CBIA Instructors if any one of them is rendered unable to teach
- Thank you for understanding that due to Covid-19, course participants need to be adaptable and prepared for the possibility of last-minute changes. Short-notice course cancellation may be unavoidable. Participant costs
associated with cancellation of travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the course participant.
- Precautions may vary depending upon PHO orders and college recommendations at the time of the course.
- No one may enter the venue if (1) they have Covid-19 symptoms; or, (2) are Covid-19 positive.
- At this time there are no masking requirements, participants may choose to wear a mask. Be aware that:
Participants attending are from different healthcare institutions
There is close contact during practical and treatment sessions
- It is highly recommended that course participants have up-to-date booster vaccinations for COVID-19.
- To help in keeping all course participants and patients healthy, please respect public health guidelines by washing/sanitizing your hands whenever appropriate and cough or sneeze into your arm!
- Please refer to local PH guidelines should you have any questions.
Venue Website: http://www.neuro-ability.caAddress:
- Neuro-Ability is located at 1156 Kingsway between Glen Drive and Inverness Street.
The building is wheelchair accessible from the front door (Kingsway) and the rear door (back alley), however during the course the back door shall be locked, please enter through the front entrance.
- 1156 Kingsway, (Unit 100)
Vancouver, BC V5V 3C8
The “#19 bus” stops very close to our front door.
The “#22 and 25 busses” stop within 3-4 blocks.
- Driving and Parking Information:
- 1) Free parking is available on Kingsway until 3pm. Cars will be towed after 3pm. Access the clinic through the Kingsway ‘front’ door.
2) Off-street free parking is available on the quiet neighbourhood streets.
3) Three (3) free parking stalls for Neuro-Ability are in the back lane (between Glen Dr. and 21st Ave.). Access the clinic through the rear door. Please leave these spaces for our patient volunteers participating on the course
- Note 1: Please use the 3 east spaces (right side when facing the clinic wall). The west parking stall at the rear of the building is only for Chairstuff.
- Note 2: The large roller door is a very active delivery lane for Chairstuff. It can only be used for very temporary drop-off and pick-up.
- Please visit google maps link provided below for more detailed driving directions
- Food in the area – All of the following offer take away
- Bean bahn mi, 1198 Kingsway – Vietnamese subs
- Thu Hien Deli and Sandwich Shop, 1388 Kingsway @ Knight – Vietnamese, recommend their number 1 special Banh Cuon pork rice rolls
- Green Lemongrass, 1086 Kingsway – Vietnamese food (salad rolls, noodles)
- Do Chay, 1392 Kingsway – Vegetarian food
- Sal y Limon Mexican Cuisine, #5, 701 Kingsway @ Fraser – Mexican – short DRIVE
Local park with park benches – Glen Park on Glen Drive between E22nd and E23rd Ave.