March 2, 2023 - October 1, 2023
11:00 am - 8:30 pm
This is an IBITA certified Basic Bobath Course for Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists, that comprises of clinical learning sessions, and a guided self-directed case report. This course utilizes lectures, practical sessions, patient demonstrations and patient treatment sessions to integrate theory and practical knowledge, with respect to the Bobath concept, in the treatment of the patient with neurological dysfunction.
Participants will be instructed in the Bobath Concept with respect to the assessment, treatment and management of adult neurological conditions. The practical application of contemporary research findings will be emphasized to promote “best practice”. Therapists will have the opportunity to work with a variety of clinical diagnoses including, CVA, ABI & iSCI, at various stages of recovery. This course has a practical emphasis to enable therapists the opportunity to develop handling skills.
- Basic Course Learning Objectives (PDF)
- Basic Course Core Curriculum (PDF)
- Bobath Concept – Definition (IBITA Webpage)
- Model of Bobath Clinical Practice (IBITA Webpage)
Module 1 (4 days): March 2, 3, 4, 5, 2023
Module 2 (4 days): March 30, 31, April 1, 2, 2023
Module 3 (3 days): May 20, 21, 22 (Note: Monday May 22 is a STAT), 2023
Module 4 (4 days): September 28, 29, 30, Oct 1, 2023
There is NO PREREQUISITE for the Basic Bobath Course. It is preferred that individuals have worked with the neurological patient population for over one year. Completion of a CBIA 2-day or 3-day Introductory Course, or an NDTA Introductory Course, is strongly recommended. Out-of-province participants must scan and email proof of temporary registration in the relevant province within four weeks of the course start.
Neuro-Ability Rehabilitation Services Directions
All participants must sign a waiver and a manual handling disclosure to participate in the practical components.
Please wear appropriate clothing for undressing during practical sessions, e.g. shorts, sports bra.
A certificate cannot be issued if non-attendance to the course is > than 1 day. Also, the successful completion and submission of a self-directed case report is also required.
Lunch is not included in course fees.
- A $150 cancellation fee will be charged if the participant cancels up to one month prior to course commencement.
- If the participant cancels within one month of course commencement, a refund will only be granted (minus $150 cancellation fee) if the course place is filled by another registrant.
The Canadian Bobath Instructors Association reserves the right to postpone or cancel a course if a minimum number of course registrants is not met. Course registrants are responsible for their travel expenses including changes to bookings, please take the above into consideration when booking flights and/or reserving accommodation.CBIA reserves the right to substitute CBIA Instructors if any one of them is rendered unable to teach
- Thank you for understanding that due to Covid-19, course participants need to be adaptable and prepared for the
possibility of last-minute changes. Short notice course cancellation may be unavoidable. Participant costs
associated with cancellation of travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the course participant.
Precautions may vary dependent upon PHO orders and college recommendations at the time of the course.
- For information regarding COVID please refer to the current BC CDC guidelines as outlined on the website: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19
- No one may enter the venue if (1) they have Covid-19 symptoms, (2) are Covid-19 positive
- All participants and patients must wear a mask at all times and wash your hands or use hand sanitizer on arrival at the course. Participants are expected to wear an N95 mask.
- Participants must provide proof of COVID vaccination, minimum of 3 doses. Documentation to show proof of this requirement must be provided on the first day of the course, with no exception.
Venue Website: http://www.neuro-ability.caAddress:
- Neuro-Ability is located at 1156 Kingsway between Glen Drive and Inverness Street.
The building is wheelchair accessible from the front door (Kingsway) and the rear door (back alley), however during the course the back door shall be locked, please enter through the front entrance.
- 1156 Kingsway, (Unit 100)
Vancouver, BC V5V 3C8
The “#19 bus” stops very close to our front door.
The “#22 and 25 busses” stop within 3-4 blocks.
- Driving and Parking Information:
- 1) Free parking is available on Kingsway until 3pm. Cars will be towed after 3pm. Access the clinic through the Kingsway ‘front’ door.
2) Off-street free parking is available on the quiet neighbourhood streets.
3) Three (3) free parking stalls for Neuro-Ability are in the back lane (between Glen Dr. and 21st Ave.). Access the clinic through the rear door. Please leave these spaces for our patient volunteers participating on the course
- Note 1: Please use the 3 east spaces (right side when facing the clinic wall). The west parking stall at the rear of the building is only for Chairstuff.
- Note 2: The large roller door is a very active delivery lane for Chairstuff. It can only be used for very temporary drop-off and pick-up.
- Please visit google maps link provided below for more detailed driving directions
- Food in the area – All of the following offer take away
- Bean bahn mi, 1198 Kingsway – Vietnamese subs
- Thu Hien Deli and Sandwich Shop, 1388 Kingsway @ Knight – Vietnamese, recommend their number 1 special Banh Cuon pork rice rolls
- Green Lemongrass, 1086 Kingsway – Vietnamese food (salad rolls, noodles)
- Do Chay, 1392 Kingsway – Vegetarian food
- Sal y Limon Mexican Cuisine, #5, 701 Kingsway @ Fraser – Mexican – short DRIVE
Local park with park benches – Glen Park on Glen Drive between E22nd and E23rd Ave.