What is Postural Control? How does it relate to Balance?
The Bobath concept: An introduction for the Health Care Worker Assistant
A 2-day Specialty Course
Course participants will gain a basic understanding of the fundamental principles of the Bobath concept in respect of postural control & balance. The course will include lectures, human movement practical sessions, & patient treatment sessions. Course participants will have the opportunity to practice handling techniques on each other during the practical sessions.
At the completion of the course the participants shall be able to:
- Define postural control & balance
- Understand postural control movement strategies (anticipatory & reactive / ankle, hip, stepping strategies, UL responses)
- Appreciate the influence of subcomponents of postural control such as the role of biomechanical restrictions, sensory strategies, movement strategies etc.
- Understand how postural control relates to balance
- Develop an understanding of medical reasons for falls
- Develop an understanding of the affects of ageing & neurological pathology on falls/balance.
- Appreciate the relevance of postural control & balance in clinical practise